News And Articles
- HSBC Credit Card Wed, 08 Sep 2010
- BDO Credit Card Wed, 08 Sep 2010
- BPI Credit Card Wed, 08 Sep 2010
- RCBC National Strength Wed, 08 Sep 2010
- CITIBANK in the Philippines Wed, 08 Sep 2010
- How to Transfer Credit Card Balance to another Card Sun, 22 May 2011
- How to Apply for a Credit Card Thu, 19 May 2011
- How Credit Limit Is Determined Wed, 18 May 2011
- Fastest Credit Card Approval Tue, 17 May 2011
- Easy Credit Card Application Mon, 16 May 2011
What is your limit?
In the Philippines (and in most economies), there are no hard and fast rules on determining the credit limit an issuing bank may extend a cardholder. It’s all arbitrary; the figure often seems to come out of thin air, based solely on the bank’s discretion. However, some factors do affect how big (or small) your credit limit can be.
- Your monthly income – Some banks give you a limit that is 20% higher than your monthly income, and some banks give you 20% less than your monthly income.
- How long you have been a creditor – If you have been a credit card holder if that bank for a few years, you may be given a bigger limit than a new applicant.
- The issuing bank’s conservativeness – Citibank and Banco de Oro are often less conservative than most issuing banks; they tend to give higher credit limits. Some of their cards, of course, impose higher interest rates than the cards issued by more conservative banks, like BPI.
- The credit limit on your other cards – If you have credit cards from other issuers, a new issuer might try to give you at least the same credit limit, if not higher, provided that you’ve been responsible in using your current limit. If you pay on time and regularly, other banks will feel more confident in lending you bigger amounts.
- Your desired credit limit – You can oftentimes demand your credit limit, especially if you have a good credit score, meaning, you have a history of being a responsible credit card user. Getting a higher credit limit can be as simple as calling your bank and asking for an increase. They may require you to fax an income tax return or other proof of income. You can also negotiate the limit on new banks trying to get your business by demanding for a certain figure and saying that you will not sign up unless they grant you that figure. If you really are an ideal credit candidate in their eyes, you will get the limit you want.
Featured Credit Cards:
- Pay an annual fee of Php1500 for your primary card!
- Go over your credit limit and pay for just Php500 or 3% whichever is higher!
- Enjoy a finance charge rate of 3.50%
- Earn rewards points with every Php30 spent with your Silver Card!
- Travel with comfort with Travel Inconvenience Insurance provided by your Silver Card when you buy your plane ticket!
MANAGE YOUR MONEY: USE YOUR CREDIT CARD WISELY
Like majority of things in life, credit cards give us power that we could use to maximize our way of living. We should learn to use it wisely to avoid any hassles in the future.
But what are really the advantages of having a credit card? We, at comparecreditcards.com, did a survey about the merits of having a credit card and you will be surprised at what came out…
It is a lot easier to buy things with a credit card. It gives you purchasing power that can let you buy things without you having to carry huge amounts of cash around.
You get added security if in case something you bought got lost, stolen or damaged. With both your credit Card Company and your credit card statement guaranteeing you made the purchase, you could actually get insurance on whatever you bought.
Having a good credit history not only helps you apply for a new credit card, but also helps you build a solid financial foundation when applying for other things like loans or sometimes even jobs.
Although we should avoid any expenses that is way out of our budget, it is sometimes unavoidable due to emergencies like fire, floods and the like. But the worst thing is it leads to large purchases in huge amounts of money. With a credit card, you can use money with cash advances and worry about paying it later once you’re back on track.
In addition to those, a credit card also presents further benefits like discounts, free air miles and insurances. But you have to remember that credit card companies start making money once you can’t afford paying off your charges!
The benefits of having a credit card are real and are very helpful on the condition that you take into account your spending limits.
Life is made easier with a credit card, but if used unwisely, they become financial break downs for you. If you do decide to get yourself a credit card, keep in mind these following rules:
- Track all of your purchases.
- Never spent beyond your budget.
- Settle your balance at the due date.
Always bear in mind the responsibility of having a credit card. Spend within your budget and use it wisely.